On Tuesday, May 24th, Mansa Tea partnered with the French Cheese Board to offer three different aged tea and cheese pairings. Held at the French Cheese Board's SoHo location from 6-8pm, the pairing event had a passionate group of foodies who really appreciated the unique flavor journey.
Tea and cheese might not be the first type of pairing one thinks about in the context of food pairing, and that is what most of our #modernconnoisseurs thought as well. But we are happy that everyone walked away amazed and pleasantly surprised by the combination of flavors we were able to create.
A few quotes from the attendees:
- "We weren't really sure how tea and cheese pairing would work out. But we were really surprised how the combination of two flavors brought us to another dimension of flavor that was totally unexpected."
- "Wow! This cheese tastes totally different once combined with the tea!"
Our aged tea and cheese pairings included:
1. Mimolette 6 months + White Peony (2015): Mimolette is a cow's milk cheese from Normandy matured for 6 months. It is hard cheese, slightly fruity and sweet as a semi-aged version. Paired with the Fuding White Peony, makes for a light pairing each complementing the light sweetness in both products.
2. Etorki + Yiwu Wild Lao Raw Pu-erh (2018): Etorki is a semi-hard sheep's milk cheese from the Basque Region matured for 7 weeks. It has a smooth, buttery, and velvety texture and has slightly sweet caramel flavors, nutty, and savory. With the balanced smooth Wild Lao Raw Pu'er, the savory and nuttiness in both the tea and cheese become more pronounced.
3. Brillat Savarin + Menghai Old Tree Ripe Pu-erh (2009): Brillat Savarin is bloomy rind cow's milk cheese from Ile-de-France. It is a triple creme cheese that is luscious, creamy, and with heft with a slightly salty and buttery flavors and an aftertaste of mushrooms. Together with the Menghai Old Tree Ripe Pu'er, the warming quality and earthiness of the tea accentuates the heaviness in both products.
We are excited that we had a chance to introduce a new category of pairing for everyone and work with French Cheese Board on this wonderful event!
About the French Cheese Board
The French Cheese Board provides a new home to French cheese at the cultural epicenter of NYC. Though it will provide the most exquisite goods and treats for your Thursdays Aperitifs and Sunday Brunches, the French Cheese Board is also a destination featuring exclusive programming that blends art, design and food in innovative forms that appeal to both the connoisseurs and the curious in search of the mystique and passion that surround French cheese. The French Cheese Board is an ambassador of the French cheese experience and also serves as a platform for conversations and debates.
As an open venue, the French Cheese Board will feature events and exhibits where food becomes the centerpiece and topic for engaged communication. The space, designed by renowned French designers Ich&Kar, will serve as a beacon for chefs, artists, bloggers, foodies and cheese makers so they may explore dairy products and foods as a medium for development and innovation.
The French Cheese Board is also a fab lab of ideas, where people can participate in cooking lessons, wine and cheese pairings sessions, interactive presentations on how to indulge in French cheese, and improve their knowledge through playful and interactive displays dedicated to the art and craft of cheese. The boutique also offers a selection of cookware and accessories that is sure to appeal to the trendiest of guests.